Tuesday, March 10, 2009

treat 'em right

got beef? haven't had too much in my life, but there were some close calls. first real nasty one was in sixth grade. shakina was new to the school and mouthy as a lopez. got in my face and started making fun of my shoes (which she had a right to, since they were really red and had velcro). she walked away, but not far enough to miss "bitch" slip out of my mouth. oops. kinda the wrong thing to do. ms. mouthy had some fists and a few older brothers who were two steps shy of juvie. teachers got us into our class before heads started ringing and i didn't get too far before i heard "my brothers and i are gonna fuck you up after school." oops, again. made it to my bus without being seen and kept a low profile for awhile. when i finally ran into shakina at school, she offered me some gum and asked if was gonna hang out with everybody at the party that weekend. oops? no, she meant it. i don't know what to take from this, happiness or sadness? happy that she saw the real me and showed me respect for standing up for myself or the fact that that "bitch" was just a long line of labels which she would accept for the rest of her life. wonder where she is now. i'd let her know i just didn't know how to tell her she was pretty.

i'd call her "lady" if i ever saw her again.

cabin john middle school, 1991

mr. mark thinks velcro and sunny d could stop world wars.